Shawanaga First Nation Healing Center
The Shawanaga First Nation Healing Centre provides health, healing and wellness programs and services to Shawanaga members. These are provided through community programming or through the Healing Lodge.
- Family Support Program– provides support to children and their families through home visiting; and prevention/education programs. Programs offered include: Great Beginnings; Food Vine; Pre-postnatal education; Breastfeeding Education and support; Parenting education & support; advocacy and referrals.
- Child and Youth Support program – provides holistic support to children and youth through one/one support counselling; group work; traditional teachings and healing ceremonies and prevention/education programs such as the girls/boys groups; recreation nights; life skills building; educational workshops and conferences; advocacy and referrals
- Seniors and Adults program (home care services including homemaking services, shopping and transportation, as well as a Diner’s Club which includes a 50+ luncheon, Meals on Wheels, and mental health and HIV/AIDS education and support
- Medical Transportation and support (local and to out of town specialists)
- Diabetic program (foot care, support group, education)
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Program (education awareness and support, nutrition education)
- Addictions program (Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), social nights, counselling education and support)
- Community Nurse (2 days per month to consult with clients, monitor blood pressure and blood sugar)
- Mental Health Worker (weekly visits through the Native Mental Health Program to assist with counselling, educational sessions for children/youth and adults.)
Shawanaga’s Food Security/traditional food program has been a very successful promising practice. Community members, particularly youth are taught how to hunt, clean and prepare animals, which are then shared with seniors and families in need. The program was recently selected as one of the top three food security programs in Canada by Health Canada.
The Healing Lodge provides holistic healing and wellness services and programs to individuals and families seeking healing from the effects and impacts of family violence. Services are available to community members and local surrounding area First Nation members and the Urban Aboriginal community. Programs and services include individual and family support through the provision of holistic healing and wellness services which include: various healing ceremonies; traditional counselling; Traditional medicine people; Traditional teachings; Healing circles; Traditional crafts and regalia making; Youth Mentoring programs –Hunting and Fishing; Gathering of traditional foods; medicines; drum socials and Pow wows, educational workshops and social gatherings.